The Bachelor of Information Management (BIM) program is a four-year (eight-semester) program of Tribhuvan University offering integrated Information Technology and Management courses. This course is envisaged to enable students to develop skills in information technology, and then apply the theories and concepts of a broad, integrated curriculum covering computing, informatics, business fundamentals, and analytical decision-making. More than 36 colleges offering the BIM program in Nepal with affiliation from Tribhuvan University.
Information Management is the study of information and communication systems in business and administration and is becoming increasingly relevant to other fields as well. Information Management includes developing and applying theories, ideas, models, methods, and tools to analyze, configure, and use information systems.
Information Management relies on approaches used in business administration, economics, and computer science; it integrates these and supplements them with approaches that are specific to this subject area. The program is interdisciplinary in nature and courses are borrowed from many different disciplines like Management, Economics, Computer Science, Sociology, Mathematics, Accounting, and Finance.
The Bachelor of Information Management (BIM) is a special-purpose program in the semester system designed to develop socially responsible, scientifically approached/creative, and result-oriented Information Technology (IT) professionals. The program intends to equip students with the skills and attributes required to be effective and efficient IT professionals.
- To prepare IT professionals proficient in using computers and computing techniques to develop effective information systems to solve real-life problems in an organizational environment.
- To develop students’ skills and understand trends of software development and database management, they can analyze information systems and hence manage the organization’s information.
- To provide professional education to students with a blend of information technology and managerial skills.
- To prepare students to proceed onto the post-graduate level study in Information Management inside and outside the country.
- Students who have passed 10+2 or equivalent examinations from the recognized academic institutes with second division (securing 45% and above) or 1.8 CGPA are eligible to enroll in this program.
- Completed twelve-year schooling (+2) or equivalent from any University, Board or Institution recognized by Tribhuvan University securing a minimum with the second division.
Getting through the University Entrance Exam is mandatory for admission to BIM. Successful students in the University Entrance Exam should fill in the College Admission Form. Students who have filled in the University Entrance Exam forms in any other college are also eligible to apply anywhere.
Complies with all the application procedures. Must have appeared and passed the entrance test (CMAT) conducted by the Faculty of Management, Tribhuvan University. CMAT test includes verbal ability, Quantitative ability, logical reasoning, and General awareness.
Only short-listed candidates from the written test will be interviewed and selected for admission.
Eligible applicants are required to appear in the entrance test commonly known as the Central Management Admission Test (CMAT) conducted by the Faculty of Management. The test will follow the international testing pattern and standards. It includes the areas like:
There shall be altogether one hundred (100) objective questions in the CMAT containing twenty (25) questions in each section (ie. Verbal ability, Quantitative ability, Logical reasoning, General awareness) with a total weight of 100 marks. The student must secure a minimum of 40% in the CMAT to qualify for the interview. Interview Applicants securing the above cut-off point marks in the CMAT will be short-listed. Only short-listed candidates will be interviewed and selected for admission.
Admissions of the students in the BIM program of Tribhuvan University will be strictly based on the merit list. Merit list is prepared based on:
60% of CMAT Entrance examination
30% of marks secured in percentage in plus two or equivalent
Scope and Career Prospects
BIM graduates can work in both the IT and Management sector. Some of the job profiles that BIM graduates can explore is mentioned below:
- System Analyst
- Software programmer
- Project Manager
- Mobile Application Developer
- SEO expert
- MIS / IT / Computer Officer
- Software Project Manager
- Web Developer Programmer
- IT Faculty and Computing
- Database Administrator
- Database Developer
- Quality Assurance expert
- Network Engineer
- System Administrator
- IT Manager
- System Auditor
- Business Project Manager
- Business Analyst
- Marketing Manager
- Sales Manager and many more.
BIM graduates can pursue higher studies in
- MBA / MBS / MBM
- MBA in Global Leadership and Management (MBA GLM Program)
- Master of Finance and Control (MFC)
- Master of Business Administration (MBA in IT Program)
Examination and Evaluation
The BIM program will be executed through the semester system. There will be altogether eight semesters required to complete the regular program. The internal evaluation shall carry 40 percent weight while the external (end of the semester) examination will carry 60 percent weight. The final grade shall be determined on the overall performance in the internal and external examinations.
|A-||3.70 – 3.99||Very Good|
|B+||3.30 – 3.69||First Division|
|B||3.00 – 3.29||Second Division|
|B-||2.70 – 2.99||Pass in individual Paper|
Credit Transfer & Withdrawl
Credits earned by students can be transferred to other universities recognized by Tribhuvan University. The maximum credit transfer allowed to a student shall be 30 credit hours. The faculty of management has the authority to decide a credit transfer.
A student who has partially completed the BIM program and would like to discontinue his/her studies shall also be allowed to withdraw from the program. In such cases, a certificate specifying the credit earned by the student in the program shall be provided.
Students are required to attend regularly all theory and practical classes, assignments, study tours, field trips, seminars, and presentations as required by the course. A student is required to attend at least 80 percent of such activities to qualify for the semester examination.
The BIM program extends over eight semesters (four academic years). The BIM degree is awarded upon its successful completion of all the following requirements specified by the curriculum.
- The successful completion of 126 credit hours as prescribed with a minimum of passing grade in all courses with an aggregate SGPA of 3.00.
- A minimum grade ‘-B’ obtained in the Industrial Attachment Project.
- Completion of courses for the fulfillment of the requirements of the BIM program must occur within seven years from the time of registration.
Internship: Industrial Attachment Project
In the final semester, students shall be attached to organizations where they have to work for a period of eight weeks. Each student shall prepare an individual project report in the prescribed format based on his / her work in the respective organization assigned to him/her. Evaluation of the internship shall be based on the confidential report by the organization, project report, and presentation of the report. The report must be submitted by the end of the eighth semester. Students must secure a minimum grade of “-B” in the internship. The internship carries a weight equivalent to 3 credit hours.