Performance tuning is the improvement of system performance. Typically in computer systems, the motivation for such activity is called a performance problem, which can be either real or anticipated. Most systems will respond to increased load with some degree of decreasing performance.
Performance of client/server can be improved in many This section of client performance mainly focuses on the attribute s that we can examine in order to improve the performance of client machine.
They can be maintainability, dependability, efficient,
It mainly includes two types of They are :
- Hardware performance
- Software performance
When purchasing a client machine the best way is to purchase the fastest, most reliable, accurate, machine available .And it also should have the properties of safety and security
Software Performance : the software of the client workstation can be broken down into two performance reasons:-
- Operating system
- Independent tasks can be activated to manage communication process
- Multiple personal productivity application such as word processor, spreadsheets and presentation graphics can be active
- The client application is normally used where largest improvements can be
- Performance of client level is very difficult to judge because each user perception of response is
- The best way of determining problem areas is to ask users what areas of application they consider
This section focusses on performance gains and improvements you can make at the server
- Upgrading server hardware just like upgrading client hardware can improve the performance of the client/server
- Using multiple network interface cards within a server can also improve performance by moving the network loads
- Within file server and PC-based database server, high- performance file system using technology such as SCSI( Small Computer System Interface) and RAID(redundant array of independent disks) offer dramatic performance improvements over older ISA and EISA driver technology
- Data base and communication processing should be offloaded to a server processor
- Several servers can be used together so that performance of the individual components can be improved
The goal of database performance tuning is to minimize the response time of your queries and to make the best use of your system’s resources by minimizing network traffic, disk I/O, and CPU tim e.
For Optimum Performance We Need:
- Efficient index design
- Efficient Query design
- Efficient database design
An index is a pointer to the data in a table.
Example : index in the back of a book : book is printed in page order, index represents the book in keywords or subject order Books index makes finding data faster, more efficient : adding or changing book data means the index must be updated.
Types of index
- Single index
- Composite index : more than one column is used for index
- Unique : does not allow duplicate values
- Methods to access data in relational database
- Full scan : searches all rows in table
- Index access : searches from indexes
- INDEX BY WORKLOAD, NOT BY TABLE